Friday, July 18, 2014

friday (miscellaneous)


I've been reorganizing my photos on my computer and realized that I have a few projects that I meant to share but never did. This is a boxy pouch I made when I went to Sew South in March! I had thought I would write a blog post specifically about the retreat but. . .  you know how it is, right? Anyway, Sew South was wonderful! It was so great to not only meet so many of my blog friends in person (including one of my best blogging friends) but to actually spend the whole weekend with them (and make new friends as well!) Another tidbit about this pouch (made using a leftover piece from this) is that it is the first time I used interfacing.


We were all sent home from Sew South with plenty of quilty swag including these charm packs. And one of these days I'll actually make the quilt that I planned for using these - yes, one of these days.


My daughters have been baking nonstop this past week. Which is great and um, not so great. After seeing so many baked doughnut recipes, we finally bought a doughnut pan. Does anyone have any good recipes for baked doughnuts to share?


And we finally were able to grow tomatoes - I think it only took 4 years! Not sure what (if anything) we did different this year but it worked and they are delicious.

I regularly read a few (not sewing) blogs that provide links on Fridays to random things from around the web that they wanted to share with their readers. I'm not sure if any of you would be interested but here are a few things that I enjoyed this week:

This salad from Pinch of Yum (one of my favorite recipe sites) has my family eating and loving kale (well, if you don't count the littlest members of my family.)

This series from A Cup of Jo about motherhood around the world. I thought it was fascinating and actually read back through the whole series.

Hmm, when I started writing this post, I actually thought I had more links to share. Would that be something you would be interested in (my providing random links to sewing and non-sewing things)? It wouldn't be every Friday (and it wouldn't even necessarily be on a Friday) but I'm wondering if I should start keeping a list of things and then when I have a few, write a post - what do you think? Do any of you do that?

And what is going on in your life this Friday?

Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. We have a donut pan that we love but all of my recipes are egg free (my daughter is allergic) and egg free is never as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable pouch! Gorgeous color and I love how it looks like the birds are flying from the side to the front!

    The Thai salad looks soooo good. I have a recipe that I love for a Sweet Potato/Black Bean/Kale burrito, but it leaves me with so much extra kale. I'm hoping that salad recipe solves my problem! I would be interested in the random link posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Taryn, the pouch is great but the placement of the birds is what really makes it work and pop for me!

    I think that having links like you are suggesting could be really fun and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pouch and the fabric! I just used the knit version to make a dress, and the birds always seem to end up in the best spots (as in your pouch), without any planning necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those birds on pouch as well. I'm not sure if I need any more links since my to do list is getting longer and longer :) I just like to look at your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous of your tomatoes. I tried planting them for the first time this year, and I have two. I think it's too rainy. Thanks for sharing the salad recipe-it looks delicious! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love it if you shared more links!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That box pouch is adorable, Beth! Baking is my blessing and curse. I love to do it, but oh, it's dangerous... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The doughnuts sure look yummy. Congratulations on your tomatoes! We`ve been especially hot this year in the desert so I didn`t plant as I used to. I container garden tomatoes with great success. Nothing tastes better than a fresh tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, the Thai salad looks yummy. Does it take forever to chop everything? I wouldn't mind seeing some more of your favorite links from the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way the flock of birds look like they are flying around the red pouch, but, seriously, your first time using interfacing! Goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pouch is divine! And I keep seeing doughnuts pop up on Instagram; I'm eager to try to bake some. I have a hard time keeping up with all the sewing blogs that I want to read, so I'd be in real trouble if I started going to too many other linking events. The internet is a vast rabbit-hole for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, donuts :) I have no baked recipes for you, just a regular fried version called spudnuts, as it has potatoes. Great little pouch, interfacing rocks :) I don't mind links to things, if I like 'em I click, if not that's fine too. I'm excited for your tomatoes, they'll be delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!